What can you do in the gallery?
gallery UG has grown as a gallery together with artists by discovering and nurturing individual artists. Today, about 30 young artists work for us exclusively and focus not only on two-dimensional works, but also on three-dimensional works, which are considered difficult to handle..
Since the establishment of the gallery in Ginza in 2001, we have carried out various projects in Japan with our own values. In 2011, the gallery was moved to Bakuro-cho, Nihonbashi, and began full-scale operations as the primary gallery.
We actively hold group and individual exhibitions at overseas art fairs and affiliated galleries and brand our exclusive artists to the world. Since 2016, we have been focusing on branding in Japan and disseminating it widely.
Newly opened mega gallery as our flagship gallery on the 2nd floor of TERRADA ART COMPLEX II in Tennozu in the fall of 2020. We will continue to hold dynamic solo and special exhibitions throughout the year to convey the appeal of sculpture.
We are also planning to open an art studio this year. We will create an environment where artists can concentrate on their works more than ever before and start a movement.
We aim to further enrich and expand contemporary art by proposing the original state of the art gallery, such as supporting the production of artists, fostering and interacting with young artists, and creating many opportunities for promotion, just like the former Paris Marg Gallery.
We would like to share with you the history of galleryUG, which has been in business since 2001 and has always been making great strides.
- Founded "Art Life Agency", with the aim of becoming one that connects life and art.
Started activities as a comprehensive art consultant, which later forms current UG.
- Organized an art competition with more than 1,000 pieces in Ginza.
- Opened a roadside gallery space in Ginza 8-chome.
Started artist discovery and branding through regular exhibition activities in our own space. At the same time, dealing with contemporary secondary artworks, mainly Yayoi KUSAMA.
- Launched overseas promotion and began cultivating and discovering exclusive artists and branding them overseas based on a long-term strategy.
Attended many art fairs in East Asia
- Holding in-house exhibitions in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and South Korea
- Moved from Ginza to Nihonbashi area and changed the gallery name to gallery UG.
Shifted our activities to focus on young artists.
- Hold our 15th anniversary exhibition at the Ueno Royal Museum.
Begin promotion in Singapore, which at the time was the fastest-growing economy and contemporary art market in Asia.
- At Christie's Fine Art Storage Services Viewing Space in Singapore, collaborated exhibition of sculptures by Yayoi KUSAMA from our collection and Kunihiko NOHARA, our principal artist.
Commemorative exhibition at LUXE ART MUSEUM, Singapore
- Began participating in Art Fair Tokyo (and annually thereafter) and other art fairs in Japan.
- Solo exhibition of our principal artist Kunihiko NOHARA at the Ueno Royal Museum,Tokyo
- Kunihiko NOHARA solo exhibition at the largest booth at ART FAIR TOKYO
Kunihiko Nohara's solo exhibition at ART ATRIUM at Ginza Tsutaya Books in GINZA SIX of its second year of operation.
- Organized Art Expo Malaysia, Japan Pavilion and became the main of the participating Japanese galleries.
- Opened a flagship gallery at TERRADA ART COMPLEX, where leading galleries are gathered.
Opened "Studio MOKU" for a communal art studio where our exclusive artists works.
Begins full-scale activities in the U.S. and Europe, including participation in art fairs in New York and Basel.
Begins actively planning, proposing, and producing collaborations with contemporary art in order to preserve Japan's traditional crafts.
- After a hiatus from overseas activities due to the pandemic of COVID-19, participated in domestic department store events to develop domestic activities.
Kyo-Yuzen's collaborative work and contemporary art exhibited at Nijo Castle, Kyoto, a World Heritage Site.
- Planning and proposing events dedicated exclusively to primary contemporary art in department stores, the main market for Japanese art, and taking the lead in selecting and managing galleries.
(From 2022 - Touring Daimaru Matsuzakaya department stores nationwide)
- Opened UG showroom at Mother, an advertising agency in New York (ongoing exhibition).
Established a company in the Macau Special Administrative Region and began working with the Macau government to promote art content.
- Opened gallery UG macau (scheduled for February)